YOJUANE INDIANS. The Yojuane (Diujuan, Iacovane, Iojuan, Joyvan, Yacavan, Yocuana, Yujuane) Indians, a Tonkawan people, are known mainly from the eighteenth century, when they ranged over a large area in east central Texas that extended from the Colorado River east of the site of present Austin northward to the Red River. However, in the second half of the eighteenth century the Yojuanes were largely confined to the southern portion of this range. They were at San Francisco Xavier de Horcasitas Mission near the site of present Rockdale between 1748 and 1756. In the nineteenth century the Yojuane Indians were rarely mentioned, and it is clear that they were included among the bands called Tonkawa during that period. These Tonkawa Indians were assembled on the Brazos Indian Reservation in the area of present Young County in the 1850s and in 1859 were moved to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. After the Civil War some of the Tonkawas returned to northern Texas, where they lived until 1884. In that year they were moved back to Indian Territory. Today the Tonkawa Indians are extinct as an ethnic group.
Herbert Eugene Bolton, ed. and trans., Athanase de Mézières and the Louisiana-Texas Frontier, 1768–1780 (2 vols., Cleveland: Arthur H. Clark, 1914). Herbert Eugene Bolton, Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1915; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1970). Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959). A. F. Sjoberg, "The Culture of the Tonkawa, A Texas Indian," Texas Journal of Science 5 (September 1953). Dorman H. Winfrey and James M. Day, eds., Texas Indian Papers (4 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1959–61; rpt., 5 vols., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas N. Campbell, "YOJUANE INDIANS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bmy10), accessed July 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.