DEHAHUIT’S CADDO VILLAGE
DEHAHUIT’S CADDO VILLAGE. Dehahuit’s Caddo village was one of four Caddo (Kadohadacho) villages known to have existed in eastern Harrison County in the late 1830s (see also the NORTH CADDO, MIDDLE CADDO and BIG SPRING CADDO villages). Dehahuit, chief of the Kadohadacho, is known to have lived at this site from at least as early as 1805 until his death in March 1833. Dehahuit and his village figured prominently in the 1806 Red River expedition journals of both Thomas Freeman and Peter Custis. The settlement site is located on Farm Road 134, approximately two miles northwest of Waskom. Like the North and Middle Caddo village sites, Dehahuit’s Caddo settlement was located on the Natchitoches-to-Pecan Point Road. The precise date the village was established is unknown, however, in testimony related to the Grappe land claim, two old settlers in the area indicated that the Caddo first occupied the site between 1799 and 1800. The village was referenced in the reports of both Lt. Joseph Bonnell in April 1836 and Maj. Bennet Riley in August of that same year. White settlers probably destroyed the village in the unrest that characterized eastern Harrison County in the winter of 1837–38, most likely in the period between February 20, 1838, when John S. “Rip” Ford surveyed the Francisco Valmore headright, and April 27, 1838, when the Americans surveyed T17N, R17W.
Jehiel Brooks, The Answer of Jehiel Brooks to the Memorial of Samuel Norris, January 30, 1840, Box 1, Folder 12, Item 8, Brooks-Queen Family Collection, American Catholic History Research Center and University Archives, Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. Dan L. Flores, ed. Jefferson & Southwestern Exploration: The Freeman and Custis Accounts of the Red River Expedition of 1806 (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1984). John S. Ford, Rip Ford’s Texas, ed. Stephen B. Oates, (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1963). F. Todd Smith, The Caddo Indians: Tribes at the Convergence of Empires, 1542–1854 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1995). Jim Tiller, Before the Line, Volume III: Caddo Indians: The Final Years (2013), Electronic version available at Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville. Jim Tiller, “A Case for Dehahuit’s Village, Part I,” Caddo Archeology Journal 20 (2010). Jim Tiller, “A Case for Dehahuit’s Village, Part II,” Caddo Archeology Journal 21 (2011). United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Louisiana, Northwestern District, Plat Maps (T17N and R17W ), Springfield, Virginia.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jim Tiller, "Dehahuit’s Caddo Village," accessed March 23, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bpd01.
Uploaded on September 26, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.