IRRUPIEN VILLAGE. Irrupien Village, on a branch of the Trinity River in territory occupied mainly by Caddoan tribes, was visited by Louis Juchereau de St. Denis in 1717. The similarity of the name to the word Ervipiame (or Yerbipiams), a Tonkawa group living just west of this location, may be significant.
Frederick Webb Hodge, ed., Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico (2 vols., Washington: GPO, 1907, 1910; rpt., New York: Pageant, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Margery H. Krieger, "IRRUPIEN VILLAGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bpi02), accessed March 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.