MIDDLE CADDO VILLAGE.
MIDDLE CADDO VILLAGE. The Middle Caddo village was one of four Caddo (Kadohadacho) villages known to have existed in eastern Harrison County in the late 1830s (see also the NORTH CADDO, BIG SPRING CADDO and DEHAHUIT’S CADDO villages). The settlement, identified by name at least seven times on early Republic of Texas headright surveys, was located on Harrison Bayou just south of the point where the bayou was crossed by the Natchitoches-to-Pecan Point Road (sometimes called the Shreveport Road on early surveys). The village was also served by a road that extended from the Sabine River north through the Big Spring Caddo village to Schenick’s Ferry on Caddo (Ferry) Lake. The site was most likely established soon after the Caddo moved into the region south of Caddo Lake in the late 1700s to early 1800s. As was the case with all of the Caddo settlements in the region, the Middle Caddo village was abandoned during the Indian unrest of the winter of 1837–38.
Holland Anderson, Shelby County, First Class, File 000152; Seaborn J. Robinson, Shelby County, First Class, File 000185, Original Land Grant Collection, Texas General Land Office, Austin. Jim Tiller, Before the Line, Volume III: Caddo Indians: The Final Years (2013), Electronic version available at Newton Gresham Library, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville. F. Todd Smith, The Caddo Indians: Tribes at the Convergence of Empires, 1542–1854 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1995).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jim Tiller, "MIDDLE CADDO VILLAGE. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bpm03), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on September 26, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.