STONE HOUSES, BATTLE OF
STONE HOUSES, BATTLE OF. The battle of Stone Houses, a conflict between eighteen Texas Rangersqv and 150 to 180 Kichai Indians, occurred on November 10, 1837, ten miles south of the site of present-day Windthorst. The battle is named for three stone mounds that looked to the Indians like houses. In early October 1837 Kichai Indians raided Fort Smith on the Little River. On October 13 a company of Texas Rangers under Capt. William M. Eastland pursued the Indians up the Colorado River but lost the trail. A quarrel then arose between Captain Eastland and Lt. A. B. Van Benthusen, and the company separated. Seventeen men under Van Benthusen headed north, located the Kichais' trail on November 1, and continued north to the Brazos River. On November 3, near the site of the future Fort Belknap, they found a band of Cherokees and Delawares led by a Kichai guide. Benthusen's men killed the guide but spared the rest when they claimed friendship to all Texans and enmity for the Comanches. On November 10 the rangers came upon the Kichais, who had stopped running and were now primed for attack. It is said that Cherokee and Delaware Indians who were present tried to act as peace agents, but that one of the rangers, Felix McClusky, jumped an Indian and killed him. When reprimanded, McClusky replied that he would kill any Indian for a plug of tobacco and then showed one he had taken from the dead man's body. This infuriated the Indians, and they attacked. The rangers abandoned their horses and sought protection in a shallow ravine. In the first attack the Kichais lost their leader, but they retired to elect a new one and soon resumed the battle. The fighting continued for two hours, often at close quarters, until the Kichais decided to smoke out the rangers by setting fire to the prairie. The rangers charged through the smoke and waiting Indians and escaped into the woods. Four rangers died in battle before the fire and six more during the escape. Eight rangers survived and arrived at the Sabine River settlement on November 27, having walked all the way after losing all their horses and equipment. The site of the battle of Stone Houses was marked with a historic marker in 1970.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jack O. Loftin, "Stone Houses, Battle Of," accessed December 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/bts03.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.