Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon

WYALUCING PLANTATION

Wyalucing Plantation House
Photograph, Wyalucing Plantation house, view from the front, March 16, 1934. Image courtesy of E.O. Taylor Photography and the Library of Congress. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.
Wyalucing Plantation House
Photograph, Wyalucing Plantation house, view from the back, March 16, 1934. Image courtesy of E.O. Taylor Photography and the Library of Congress. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

WYALUCING PLANTATION. Wyalucing, the two-story brick plantation home of Beverly Lafayette Holcombe, on a hilltop in Marshall, Texas, was built between 1848 and 1850 by slave labor. The house was designed to resemble a rectangular Grecian temple, with columns on all four sides. A second cottage-style residence called Westover was built on the western end of Holcombe's 100-acre tract, and the two homes were linked by a street lined with slave cabins. According to family tradition, the name Wyalucing is of Indian derivation and means "home of the friendless"; other sources translate it as "home of the warrior." Wyalucing was the scene of numerous social events in the antebellum period; Elkanah Bracken Greer and Anna Holcombe were married there in 1851, and Lucy Holcombe Pickensqv was married there on April 26, 1858. During the Civil War the building served as headquarters for the Trans-Mississippi Agency of the Confederate Post Office Department. In the spring of 1865 Confederate general Joseph O. Shelby addressed the troops of his Iron Brigade from the veranda of Wyalucing just before their departure on the Shelby expedition. In 1880 the home was purchased by former slaves of Harrison County for Bishop College, and Wyalucing was in use as the music hall in the 1940s. When Bishop College moved to Dallas in 1961 the Harrison County Historical Society tried to preserve Wyalucing, but the plantation building was demolished in the early 1960s, and the land is currently the site of a low-rent housing development.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Jack Thorndyke Greer, Leaves from a Family Album, ed. Jane Greer (Waco: Texian Press, 1975). V. H. Hackney, Historical Hallmarks of Harrison County (Marshall, Texas: Marshall National Bank, 1964).

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, "Wyalucing Plantation," accessed September 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ccw02.

Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on August 2, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.