TEXAS FOOD PROCESSORS ASSOCIATION
TEXAS FOOD PROCESSORS ASSOCIATION. The Texas Food Processors Association is a nonprofit trade association representing companies engaged in the processing of food products. It includes those companies that provide the processors with necessary ingredients, equipment, packaging, and other supplies. The association was organized in August of 1943 by five canners in East Texas under the name of East Texas Canners Association, Incorporated. Among the founders were prominent food processors Frank Dorsey and Ted Graves. Dorsey maintained a position of leadership for nearly thirty years. In 1947, in an effort to broaden membership, the name was changed to Southwest Canners Association, Incorporated. As the association grew in numbers, it also grew in diversity of types of processors. Its members were no longer only canners, but came from a cross-section of companies processing a variety of food products. Therefore, under the leadership of Executive Secretary R. J. (Red) Lewallen and President A. J. Smith of SMS Industries, in July of 1970 it adopted the more appropriate name Texas Food Processors Association. Also at this time, food processors in the lower Rio Grande valley, organized as the Texas Canners and Freezers Association, became a part of this organization and elected Joe Gavito of the Elsa Canning Company to the board of directors. The association has the following objectives: to promote education in all aspects of the food industry; to operate within fair-trade and antitrust laws to preserve the advantages of competition and free enterprise; to encourage cooperation and professionalism among its members; to promote the distribution of the benefits of production according to the fair value of services performed; to encourage the production of quality products that assure customer satisfaction. The Texas Food Processors Association has provided scholarships to outstanding students of food science and technology at Texas A&M University since 1969. The support culminated in 1985 with the establishment of an endowed scholarship at Texas A&M University under the leadership of E. E. Burns, who has been an advisor to the association since the 1950s. The association traditionally has represented the food industries in Texas at regulatory hearings before state agencies such as the Railroad Commission and the Texas Department of Agriculture. Bob Stanbery of Hi-Port Industries in Highlands, Texas, was the first head of the association's legislative committee. In 1993 the association was based in College Station and had a total of 175 individual members.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, E. E. Burns, "Texas Food Processors Association," accessed December 11, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dat09.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.