TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS
TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS. The Texas State Manufacturers Association was chartered as a board of trade on December 22, 1922, with headquarters in San Antonio. The first meeting was held in August 1923, with J. C. Saunders as the first president. On November 15, 1946, the name was changed to Texas Manufacturers Association, and headquarters were moved to Houston. The name was again changed in 1976 to the Texas Association of Business. The headquarters were moved from Houston to Austin in 1986. The association worked in conjunction with the National Association of Manufacturers and the National Industrial Council. Membership, represented mainly by Texas industrialists and oil and gas producers, was organized on a state-wide and area basis. The association stated that its purpose was to provide a favorable atmosphere for operation and expansion of business enterprises in Texas. This purpose was carried out through a program of public information, legislative support, and advertising; it provided the public schools with units of study that stressed the free enterprise economic system and conducted a series of management institutes for adults. Other objectives included bringing industries to Texas and developing harmonious industrial relations. The association began publishing its official publication in 1935 under the title Texas Industry; it has since undergone various name changes and in 2003 was published as the Texas Business Report. In 1995 the Texas Association of Business merged with the Texas Chamber of Commerce (see CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE) to create the Texas Association of Business and Chambers of Commerce.
Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TEXAS ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/datwe), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.