FANTHORP INN. The Fanthorp Inn, a well-known hotel of the period of the Republic of Texas, was located in what became Anderson, in central Grimes County. The original structure was built by Henry Fanthorp in 1834 as a home for himself and his wife Rachel (Kennard) at the crossing of the mail routes between Houston and Springfield and Nacogdoches and San Felipe de Austin. Fanthorp soon enlarged the original two-room log building into a hotel, and in 1835 it became the first post office and store in the area. Kenneth Lewis Anderson, vice president of the republic, died at the inn on July 3, 1845. The inn served as a community center between 1850 and 1865. After Fanthorp died in 1867 it was operated for another year and then closed. The house continued to be used by the family as a private home until 1976. In 1977 the house and adjoining property were purchased by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to serve as a historical exhibit. The inn and the Fanthorp family cemetery were restored, and a new building was constructed to house a small exhibit on transportation of the period. In 1974 the inn and a portion of the surrounding Anderson downtown area became part of the Anderson Historic District.
Irene Taylor Allen, Saga of Anderson-The Proud Story of a Historic Texas Community (New York: Greenwich, 1957). Texas Historical Commission, National Register Files. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FANTHORP INN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dff01), accessed June 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.