GALVESTON AND BRAZOS NAVIGATION COMPANY
GALVESTON AND BRAZOS NAVIGATION COMPANY. The Brazos Canal Company, chartered in 1841, represented the first effort in the Galveston area to connect inland plantations to Gulf shipping ports. Construction began in 1847 on a "slave ditch" in southern Brazoria County dug by slaves of the owners. The first mile took two years to dig and was soon abandoned.
Another company, The Galveston and Brazos Navigation Company, chartered on February 8, 1850, was authorized to construct a canal between the harbor of San Luis or West Galveston Bay to the Brazos River, to be completed within six years. Among early commissioners were John S. Sydnor and Gail Borden, Jr. The canal became a conduit for the cotton trade of the Brazos and a route to California. Directors of the company were authorized to issue $150,000 worth of capital stock, with the privilege of increasing the issue to $300,000. The canal was completed early in 1855 by contractor David Bradbury. It initially measured fifty-five feet wide and 4¼ miles long. It connected San Luis Bay with Oyster Creek, followed the creek for one mile, cut through the mainland for a mile to East Union Bayou, and followed the bayou for three-fourths of a mile to its confluence with the Brazos River. Though the canal accommodated both sail and steam vessels, it could not compete successfully with river and railroad transportation. The company was granted ninety-four sections of land as a bonus in 1854 and in 1860 was permitted to relocate a part of this land that had apparently originally been located outside of the state. After the Civil War the original canal was deepened and widened.
Earl Wesley Fornell, The Galveston Era: The Texas Crescent on the Eve of Secession (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1961). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898). Charles Waldo Hayes, Galveston: History of the Island and the City (2 vols., Austin: Jenkins Garrett, 1974). David G. McComb, Galveston: A History (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1986). Andrew Forest Muir, "The Destiny of Buffalo Bayou," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 47 (October 1943). Jessie O. Webb, The History of Galveston to 1865 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1924).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "Galveston and Brazos Navigation Company," accessed January 21, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/dqg01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on November 23, 2015. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.