- JOIN | SUPPORT TSHA
AMARILLO DAILY NEWS
AMARILLO DAILY NEWS. The Amarillo Daily News was an outgrowth of the Amarillo News, first published as a weekly in 1894, the Amarillo Weekly News, which appeared in 1898, and the Amarillo Evening News, which began as a daily in 1899. In 1909 Delbert Davenport and W.A. Allen moved to Amarillo from Kansas and started the Evening American. William Beck of Indiana bought an interest in the paper, and a plant was established at Fifth and Tyler streets. A new Amarillo corporation seeking to promote prohibition acquired the paper, and it was subsequently published, beginning on November 4, 1909, as the Amarillo Daily News. This paper, which absorbed the Amarillo Daily Tribune and the Daily Panhandle, was produced by the Amarillo Publishing Company, claimed to be independent, and called itself the "morning newspaper of the golden spread." Among the incorporators of the Amarillo Publishing Company were Dr. J. E. Nunn, president; W. A. Askew, secretary; and J. W. McGammon, editor. Other owners included R. E. Underwood and J. W. Crudgington. Financial troubles forced a foreclosure sale of the publication in 1912, after which it was purchased by J. W. Williams and Willis D. Twichell. At a second foreclosure in 1916, the paper was returned to one of its original owners, J. E. Nunn, whose son, J. Lindsay Nunn, became publisher and general manager in the fall of 1920. In January 1926 Eugene A. Howe and his associates, then publishers of the Amarillo Globe, acquired the paper; they soon combined the two as companion morning and afternoon newspapers and named the operation the Globe-News Publishing Company. In 1955 S. B. Whittenburg and associates purchased the company, which by 1966 published the Daily News each morning, along with the evening Amarillo News and Globe-Times and the Amarillo Sunday News-Globe. In 1967 the Amarillo Daily News (the morning paper), the Globe-Times (the evening paper), and the Sunday News-Globe were sold to the Southwestern Newspapers Corporation. By the 1990s the paper had merged with the Amarillo Globe-Times to form the Amarillo News and Globe-Times, which had a circulation of about 65,000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Texas Newspaper Directory (Austin: Texas Press Service, 1991).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert W. Wylie, "Amarillo Daily News," accessed April 25, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eea06.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.