ATHENS REVIEW. The Athens Review is among the oldest newspapers in Henderson County and the longest in continuing operation. It was founded as a weekly newspaper on December 24, 1885, by J. B. Bishop and George M. Johnston, owners and editors. The earliest newspaper in Henderson County, the Athens Bulletin, was established in 1873 by J. H. Cox and Professor J. E. Thomas. After it closed, the printing press was used to print the Athenian, which lasted from 1883 through early 1885. In late 1885 Bishop and Johnston acquired the press that they used to print the first edition of the Review, a six-column, four-page publication with a subscription price of $1.50 a year. In 1886 a nineteen-year-old-printer from Waco, William Dixon Bell, bought the paper, which he operated until 1888, when he sold it to J. H. Walford. Col. R. E. Yantis of Van Zandt County purchased it in 1900 and in 1901 began publication of a second paper, the Athens Daily Review. In the early 1990s both papers were still in operation.
Wanda Forester Alderman, A History of the Athens Review (M.A. thesis, East Texas State University, 1967). Marker Files, Texas Historical Commission, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ATHENS REVIEW," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eea16), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.