BELLVILLE COUNTRYMAN. The Bellville Countryman, founded on July 28, 1860, was a semiweekly newspaper published by W. S. Thayer for editor and proprietor John P. Osterhout. Though the paper's motto was "Independent in All Things–Neutral in None," it favored the Southern wing of the Democratic party. The paper regularly carried a column in German. Osterhout continued publication throughout the Civil War, publishing the paper on halfsheets. The Bellville Countryman ceased on August 21, 1865, but was subsequently continued by the Texas Countryman.
Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "BELLVILLE COUNTRYMAN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeb06), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.