CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#2]
CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#2]. The second Corpus Christi Gazette was started in January 1873 by James B. and Francis E. Barnard as a successor to the Corpus Christi Advertiser. It was originally issued as a weekly on Saturdays but was transformed into a daily (except Mondays) on January 1, 1876, with a weekly issue summarizing the news in a thirty-two-column folio. The Gazette prospered as Benjamin F. Neal's Nueces Valley declined. Neal died in July 1873, and his successors were less able and competitive than he. Other newspapers such as William Maltby's Ledger and Edward Williams's Free Press caused losses in circulation of the Gazette so that it suspended publication in 1878. Barnard's Gazette is one of the chief news resources for Corpus Christi history throughout the post-Reconstruction period.
WPA Writers' Program, Corpus Christi (Corpus Christi Caller-Times, 1942). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Frank Wagner, "CORPUS CHRISTI GAZETTE [#2]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eec13), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.