HOUSTON MORNING STAR
HOUSTON MORNING STAR. The Houston Morning Star began publication as a daily newspaper on April 8, 1839. It was published by Ezekial Humphreys and Company and edited by John W. Eldridge, and printed in the office of the Telegraph and Texas Register,qv with which it interchanged news, each paper giving credit lines for borrowed editorials. Jacob W. Cruger became publisher after Humphreys's death on November 12, 1839. After Eldridge died in February 1840, D. H. Fitch became editor, on March 2, 1840. By July 14, 1840, the Star changed to a tri-weekly and reduced its rate from twelve to ten dollars a year. During 1841 James F. Cruger replaced his brother as publisher, and Dr. Francis Mooreqv became editor. With that change the paper became less neutral and more anti-Sam Houstonqv in policy. In style the Star more nearly resembled modern newspapers than did its contemporary publications in the republic, although it carried more advertising than editorial or news matter. The paper focused on local news, and its correspondent at the capital supplied regular political news. It continued publication until 1850, when it was succeeded by the Houston Telegraph.
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Douglas C. McMurtrie, "Pioneer Printing in Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 35 (January 1932). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HOUSTON MORNING STAR," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeh03), accessed July 13, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.