HOOD COUNTY NEWS
HOOD COUNTY NEWS. The Hood County News was descended from the Granbury Vidette, established by Ashley W. Crockett around 1872, and the Granbury News, established by J. D. Ballard around 1884. Crockett's paper was known as the weekly Graphic in the mid-1880s,the Graphic and Hood County Truth when he operated it with Isaac Newton Gresham in the 1890s, and the Graphic Truth until after 1900. It was called the Democrat by 1902, and next the Graphic-Democrat under S. T. Compton, until it took the name Hood County Herald under D. C. Ashmore in 1917. In 1937 the paper was sold to state senator A. B. Crawford and his wife, who merged it in 1946 with the Hood County News Tablet, the successor to the original Granbury News; the News Tablet became the Hood County Tablet after 1919. In 1970 this paper was sold to Lon Williams of Mineral Wells, who operated it briefly under the name Hood County Informer News and introduced the use of an offset press. By November of that year Hood County News, Incorporated, purchased the paper and renamed it Hood County News, with Burl McClellan as editor. A Sunday issue appeared after 1972, and in the 1990s the paper was published by Jerry Tidwell and had a circulation of 7,774.
Texas Newspaper Directory (Austin: Texas Press Service, 1991).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "HOOD COUNTY NEWS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eeh14), accessed July 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.