LA GRANGE TEXAS MONUMENT
LA GRANGE TEXAS MONUMENT. The La Grange Texas Monument was published weekly from July 20, 1850, to February 24, 1855. The paper was established by the Texas Monumental Committee and was incorporated by the legislature for the purpose of publishing Texas history and erecting a monument honoring the Mier expedition prisoners and other Texas martyrs. Although the monument was not built by the committee, the paper carried out its objective to cover Texas life. Lancelot Abbotts moved the press of the Houston Mercantile Advertiser to La Grange and printed the Monument until 1854. Subsequent editors included John W. Dancy, Jonathan Hampton Kuykendall,qqv William P. Smith, Albert P. Posey, and A. R. Gates. In 1852, in spite of the fact that Sam Houston, Jefferson Davis, T. J. Rusk, David S. Kaufman, Volney E. Howard, John C. (Jack) Hays,qqv and others had lent their names to the project and were collecting money for it, the paper did not prosper. At the end of the second volume it was sold to Albert P. Posey, a young newspaper editor from Alabama, who continued the policy of filling his columns with historical facts, incidents, and anecdotes connected with Texas history. Posey not only followed this program, but in addition gave to the Monument the most elevated literary tone of any paper published in Texas before the Civil War. He was a poet, an essayist, an editorial writer, and a humorist; above all, he had a keen perception of what should be preserved in human-interest materials. Unfortunately, he died on April 22, 1854. A. R. Gates bought the press, but the paper was merged with the La Grange Paper, edited by William B. McClellan, in 1855. The only known files of the Texas Monument are in the Texas State Archives, Austin.
Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Donald Day, "LA GRANGE TEXAS MONUMENT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eelwk), accessed February 12, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles