TEXIAN PRESS. The Texian Press, in Waco, was founded in 1961 by Robert E. Davis in Waco. Its first published title was History of Rusk County, Texas, by Dorman H. Winfrey. Over the next two years publications included Jacob de Córdova, Land Merchant of Texas by James M. Day. Late in 1962 the Texian Press began publishing a quarterly historical journal, Texana. This publication was suspended in 1974. In 1963 Gaines Mill to Appomattox by Harold B. Simpson brought national attention to the new regional press. Sam Lanham became a partner the same year, and in January 1964 Lanham sold his interest in the press to Frank J. Jasek of Waco, who continued as a partner until 1985, when the press was purchased by the Davis Brothers Publishing Company. The Texian Press provided a much-needed publishing facility for Texas authors and historians. Its publications include the popular illustrated Heroes of Texas (1964), which has gone through multiple editions; facsimile reproductions such as Map and Description of Texas, 1840 (1965); and Richard A. Thompson's Crossing the Border with the Fourth Cavalry (1986).
The Story of the Texian Press (Waco: Texian Press, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert E. Davis, "TEXIAN PRESS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eht03), accessed July 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.