CONCHO, SAN SABA AND LLANO VALLEY RAILROAD
CONCHO, SAN SABA AND LLANO VALLEY RAILROAD. The Concho, San Saba and Llano Valley Railroad Company was chartered on April 2, 1909, with authority to build a railroad from northeast Tom Green County southeast to a connection with the San Antonio and Aransas Pass in either Kerr or Kendall counties. The initial capital was $250,000, and the business office was located at Miles in Runnels County. Members of the first board of directors included D. E. Sims, W. A. Norman, S. Roach, W. C. Scarritt, and T. K. Wilson, all from Paint Rock in Concho County; T. C. Wynn of San Angelo; and R. A. Love of Kansas City, Missouri. The CSS&LV built two disconnected segments from connections with the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company. Initial construction began in April 1909, and the 16.5-mile line between Miles and Paint Rock opened in December of that year. Construction of the longer route between San Angelo and Sterling City, forty-three miles, began in August 1909 and opened a year later. Work on the CSS&LV was financed by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, which acquired the railroad in August 1910. Citizens along the line made donations amounting to $140,973, of which $40,000 was contributed in San Angelo and Tom Green County. A prior agreement between the Santa Fe and the city of San Angelo stated that no additional cash donations would be requested for any Santa Fe extension built from San Angelo. The $40,000 was returned and used to finance Santa Fe Park as well as other parks in San Angelo. The CSS&LV was leased to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe in 1914. By the mid-1930s improved roads had siphoned off much of the traffic and the line between Miles and Paint Rock was abandoned in April 1937. The balance of the CSS&LV was merged into the GC&SF in December 1948. However, operations between San Angelo and Sterling City were discontinued in July 1958, and the line was abandoned the following year.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, George C. Werner, "Concho, San Saba and Llano Valley Railroad," accessed May 31, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqc18.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles