CROSBYTON-SOUTHPLAINS RAILROAD. The Crosbyton-Southplains Railroad was chartered on April 6, 1910, to build from a point in Dickens County to Lubbock, with a branch from Crosbyton to Plainview, for a total distance of 120 miles. The capital was $150,000, and the principal place of business was Crosbyton. The members of the first board of directors were Julian M. Bassett, Roger M. Bassett, William D. Petzel, and Joseph C. Johnson, all of Crosbyton; Avery Coonley of Riverside, Illinois; and John Stuart Coonley and Prentiss L. Coonley, both of Chicago, Illinois. In 1910 J. S. Coonley and J. M. Bassett began construction of nearly thirty-nine miles of track from Lubbock to Crosbyton, where the Coonley and Bassett Live Stock Company wished to promote the colonization of a large tract of land. Cash bonuses of more than $43,000 were given by citizens of Lubbock and of Crosby County along with right-of-way to aid in the construction of the line. The Crosbyton-Southplains opened on April 10, 1911. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe purchased the railroad on August 1, 1915, and changed its name to South Plains and Santa Fe on August 17, 1916. The former Crosbyton-Southplains line was sold to the Crosbyton Railroad, which began operation in January 1990. However, the line was abandoned before the end of that year due to lack of business.
Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanne F. Lively, "CROSBYTON-SOUTHPLAINS RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqc21), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.