EAST TEXAS AND GULF RAILWAY
EAST TEXAS AND GULF RAILWAY. The East Texas and Gulf Railway Company was chartered on August 1, 1917, to serve the interests of the Loderick Lumber Company. The capital was $20,000, and the principal office was in Hicksbaugh. The members of the first board of directors were S. B. Hicks and J. T. Wurtsbaugh, both of Shreveport, Louisiana: W. F. Johnson of Natchitoches, Louisiana; J. P. Wurtsbaugh, E. M. Lewis, and C. V. McGee, all of Dyersdale; and E. R. Campbell of Houston. In October 1917 the East Texas and Gulf completed 3.9 miles between Hyatt, where it connected with the Texas and New Orleans, to Hicksbaugh. The railroad also operated over the logging track of the Loderick Lumber Company from Hicksbaugh to Wurtsbaugh, while the lumber company also ran log trains over the East Texas and Gulf. In 1923 the physical valuation ascertained by the Railroad Commission was $61,842. In 1926 the East Texas and Gulf reported passenger earnings of $700 and freight earnings of $19,000 and owned two locomotives and two cars. The mill at Hicksbaugh closed in 1928, and the railroad was abandoned in 1934.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "EAST TEXAS AND GULF RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqe02), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.