HOUSTON, TRINITY AND TYLER RAILROAD
HOUSTON, TRINITY AND TYLER RAILROAD. The Houston, Trinity, and Tyler Railroad was chartered on January 7, 1860, to build from a connection with the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad at Houston through the piney woods of East Texas by way of Tyler, Gilmer, and Jefferson. In November 1860 twenty miles of track was under contract, but the approaching Civil War stopped the project. Some grading was done, and the company acquired a few freight cars and rails that were later sold to the Galveston and Houston Junction. An unsuccessful attempt was made to revive the line after the war.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HOUSTON, TRINITY AND TYLER RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqh16), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.