LIVINGSTON AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILWAY
LIVINGSTON AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILWAY. The Livingston and Southeastern Railway Company was chartered on December 18, 1903, and owned and operated by the Knox Lumber Company. The capital was $35,000. The principal place of business was Livingston. The members of the first board of directors were W. H. Knox, Hiram Knox, C. W. Hawley, and W. F. Robertson, all of Dallas County; C. A. Noblett and L. F. Gerlach, both of Polk County; and James E. Miles of Angelina County. The first seven miles of the line were built to connect the firm's sawmill at Knox (later known as Soda) with the Houston East and West Texas Railway at Livingston. In 1906 another three miles was added, completing the company's ten miles of track. As the area around Knox was cleared of timber, the Knox Lumber Company decided to withdraw from Polk County. By 1913 the railroad was abandoned, and the company's mill at Knox had been transferred to Hemphill in Sabine County.
W. L. West, Polk County (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Enterprise, 1910).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "LIVINGSTON AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eql04), accessed June 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.