MISSOURI, OKLAHOMA AND GULF RAILWAY COMPANY OF TEXAS
MISSOURI, OKLAHOMA AND GULF RAILWAY COMPANY OF TEXAS. The Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway Company of Texas was chartered on March 28, 1910, to build from the south bank of the Red River to Denison, Texas. The company was affiliated with the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway, and together they formed a through route from Joplin, Missouri, to Denison. Initial capital was $10,000, and the business office was at Denison. Members of the first board of directors included William Kenefick of Kansas City, Missouri, W. P. Dewar and E. R. Jones of Muskogee, Oklahoma, and J. T. Buckner, John T. Suggs, R. S. Legate, and G. L. Blackford, all of Denison. The nine miles between the south end of the Red River bridge near Carpenter's Bluff and Denison was constructed between May and November 1910 by J. F. Hoffman and Company, contractors. In 1916 the MO> earned $7,351 in passenger revenue, $269,725 in freight revenue, and $1,456 in other revenue. The company owned one locomotive, 24 freight cars, and one passenger car in 1919, as well as leasing other equipment from the MO&G. Between September 1, 1915, and August 31, 1917, the MO> offered direct freight service to Dallas and Fort Worth by utilizing trackage rights over the Houston and Texas Central between Denison and Plano and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas between Plano and Dallas-Fort Worth. The affiliated MO&G entered receivership in December 1913 and was reorganized as the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway Company in July 1919. The Texas property was not part of the receivership and changed its name to the Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway Company of Texas effective April 2, 1921.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "MISSOURI, OKLAHOMA AND GULF RAILWAY COMPANY OF TEXAS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqmgg), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.