NACOGDOCHES AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILROAD
NACOGDOCHES AND SOUTHEASTERN RAILROAD. The Nacogdoches and Southeastern Railroad Company was chartered on September 28, 1905. The railroad was planned to connect Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County with the Attoyac River thirty miles to the southeast. The capital stock was $50,000, and the principal place of business was Nacogdoches. The members of the first board of directors were E. B. Hayward, G. W. Cable, G. W. Cable, Jr., and W. H. Kimball, all of Davenport, Iowa, and C. C. Hayward, George Meisenheimer, E. A. Blount, John Schmidt, and George F. Ingram, all of Nacogdoches. The railroad was constructed as a facility of the Hayward Lumber Company. In 1905 the Nacogdoches and Southeastern railroad built eleven miles of track from Hayward (where the track connected with the Texas and New Orleans) to near Woden. The company later built two miles from Hayward to Nacogdoches, where it connected with the Houston, East and West Texas line. Both Hayward Lumber Company and the Nacogdoches and Southeastern were sold to the Frost-Johnson Lumber Company of Texas in 1910. The Nacogdoches and Southeastern owned fourteen miles of track extending from Nacogdoches to Milepost 14 (between Woden and Oil Springs), but it also operated over certain logging tracks of the Frost-Johnson company (later Frost Lumber Industries, Incorporated, of Texas). In the early 1920s, for example, the Nacogdoches and Southeastern ran over the lumber-company tracks from Milepost 14 to La Cerda (where it connected with the Angelina and Neches River Railroad) to Camp Pershing for a total distance of about twenty-eight miles from Nacogdoches. With the decline in logging around Camp Pershing, Frost in 1923 constructed a new line from near Oil Springs to Calgary in northern San Augustine County, where a connection was made with the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe. The Nacogdoches and Southeastern abandoned service from La Cerda to Camp Pershing on January 23, 1926, and between Oil Springs and La Cerda on November 29, 1926. The Nacogdoches and Southeastern, however, extended its service to Calgary, forty-two miles from Nacogdoches, on June 10, 1926. The railroad last reported carrying revenue passengers in 1935. By 1949 Frost had discontinued hauling logs by rail to its mill at Hayward, and notified its subsidiary, the Nacogdoches and Southeastern, that it planned to remove its line to Calgary. The Interstate Commerce Commission authorized the Nacogdoches and Southeastern to discontinue its operations between Milepost 14 and Calgary. The twelve miles from Milepost 14 to Hayward were abandoned in 1952, and the balance of the railroad was abandoned in 1954. Nearly 3,000 feet of track and sidings at Nacogdoches were sold to the Texas and New Orleans.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Nancy Beck Young, "Nacogdoches and Southeastern Railroad," accessed August 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqn01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.