POINT COMFORT AND NORTHERN RAILWAY
POINT COMFORT AND NORTHERN RAILWAY. The Point Comfort and Northern Railway Company was chartered on April 29, 1948, to build a line from a point near Point Comfort on Lavaca Bay to a connection with the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway near Lolita in Jackson County. The Aluminum Company of America is the major stockholder in the railroad, which serves the Alcoa facility at Point Comfort. The capital was $500,000 and the principal place of business was Port Lavaca. Members of the first board of directors were W. H. Bauer and Carl E. Partlow, both of Port Lavaca; Lon (Leonidas) C. Hillqv of Corpus Christi; David T. Searls and William D. Deakins, both of Houston; James Davies of St. Louis; and R. S. Boston of University City, Missouri. In 1949 the Point Comfort and Northern completed thirteen miles of track between Lolita and Point Comfort. Freight earnings were $448,000 in 1952, when the company owned two engines. By 1990 the railroad's annual revenues were between $5 and $9 million, and the line hauled nonmetal minerals, chemicals, and primary metal products.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "POINT COMFORT AND NORTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqp14), accessed July 11, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.