RIO GRANDE, EL PASO AND SANTA FE RAILROAD
RIO GRANDE, EL PASO AND SANTA FE RAILROAD. The Rio Grande, El Paso and Santa Fe Railroad Company was chartered on October 28, 1880, as the Rio Grande and El Paso Railroad Company; the name was changed on May 21, 1914. The Rio Grande, El Paso and Santa Fe ran from a connection with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway on the Texas-New Mexico border at Anthony (formerly La Tuna), Texas, to El Paso, a distance of twenty miles, and formed part of the Santa Fe line from Albuquerque, New Mexico, to El Paso. The line was controlled by the Santa Fe from its inception and gave the Santa Fe its only direct access to Mexico. In 1916 the Rio Grande, El Paso and Santa Fe earned $74,416 in passenger revenue, $192,312 in freight revenue, and $73,835 in other revenue. The Railroad Commission listed the line as a Class II road in 1926. Earnings in 1931 were $27,242 in passenger revenue, $114,120 in freight revenue, and $67,278 in other revenue. During most of its existence the Rio Grande, El Paso and Santa Fe was operated under lease by either the Panhandle and Santa Fe or the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe. It was absorbed by the latter company on November 14, 1994.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "RIO GRANDE, EL PASO AND SANTA FE RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqr08), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles