RIO GRANDE AND PECOS RAILWAY
RIO GRANDE AND PECOS RAILWAY. The Rio Grande and Pecos Railway Company was chartered on March 3, 1882, to build from Brownsville up the Rio Grande to a point at or near the mouth of the Pecos River, about 500 miles. The initial capital was $500,000, and the business office was located at Laredo. Members of the first board of directors included J. W. Throckmorton of Collin County, Wilson Waddington of New York, Alex C. Hunt of Denver, and Henry S. Cake, Lewis Carlile, Mark A. Shaffenberg, Santiago Sánchez, Albert W. Wilcox, and L. O. Howell, all from Webb County. Hunt owned the largest cannel coal mines in the United States near Minera, about thirty miles from Laredo. When the mines first opened in 1880, coal was transported to Laredo by ox teams. The Rio Grande and Pecos was constructed between Laredo and Santo Thomas Mine, a distance of nearly twenty-eight miles, between October 1882 and March 1883 for the purpose of transporting the coal. The railroad was three-rail so that it could interchange cars at Laredo with both the narrow-gauge Texas Mexican and the standard gauge International and Great Northern. The Rio Grande and Pecos was unable to pay the interest on its bonds, and entered receivership on April 16, 1884. It was sold under foreclosure on December 17, 1884, to C. B. Wright, who assigned it to James H. Anderson on June 12, 1889. The property was conveyed to the Rio Grande and Eagle Pass Railway Company on June 18, 1889.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "RIO GRANDE AND PECOS RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqrsj), accessed September 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.