TIMPSON AND HENDERSON RAILWAY
TIMPSON AND HENDERSON RAILWAY. The Timpson and Henderson Railway Company was chartered on February 16, 1901, as the Timpson and Northwestern Railway Company; its name was changed on June 29, 1909. At that time the company operated eight miles between Timpson in Shelby County and Ragley in Panola County. It purchased a line built by the Ragley Lumber Company extending 11½ miles from Ragley to Pine Hill in Rusk County and on November 21, 1909, opened a fourteen-mile extension from Pine Hill to Henderson. In 1916 the line owned two locomotives and seven cars and reported passenger earnings of $8,000 and freight earnings of $40,000. The company had trouble keeping its Railroad Commission recognition as a common carrier, and the entire thirty-four miles was abandoned in 1923.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy, "TIMPSON AND HENDERSON RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt27), accessed August 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.