TRINITY AND SABINE RAILWAY
TRINITY AND SABINE RAILWAY. The Trinity and Sabine Railway Company was chartered on September 28, 1881. The railroad was planned by local lumber interests to connect Trinity in Trinity County on the International and Great Northern railroad with a point seventy-five miles to the east, at or near the junction of the Neches and Angelina rivers. The capital stock was $1,125,000, and the principal place of business was Trinity. The members of the first board of directors were Ira H. Evans, Allen McCoy, G. J. Gooch, and A. R. Howard, all of Palestine, and D. S. H. Smith, H. M. Hoxie, and R. S. Hayes, all of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1882 the railroad built thirty-eight miles of track from Trinity east to Milepost 38. On December 9, 1882, Jay Gould bought the road and on the same day sold it to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company. It was never connected with the main line and became known as the Orphan Branch of the Katy. The line was extended twenty-nine miles to Colmesneil in 1884. On November 18, 1891, the Trinity and Sabine became part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas, but the property was left out of the reorganized company in 1923. The line was sold to the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity and Sabine Railway Company on April 8, 1924.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. G. Reed, "TRINITY AND SABINE RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt29), accessed July 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.