WACO AND NORTHWESTERN RAILROAD
WACO AND NORTHWESTERN RAILROAD. The Waco and Northwestern Railroad Company was chartered as the Waco Tap Railroad Company on November 5, 1866; the name was changed on August 6, 1870. The railroad was organized by citizens of Waco to connect their city with the Houston and Texas Central Railway at a point in or below Falls County. By the time rails of the Houston and Texas Central reached Bremond, selected as the junction, in mid-1870, the Waco Tap had completed several miles of grade. However, progress was slow, and the grade did not reach Marlin until April 1871. On June 27 of that year the Waco and Northwestern ratified an agreement by which the Houston and Texas Central would complete the railroad. The first rails for the Waco line arrived in early October 1871, and the line was completed to Marlin on February 24, 1872, and to Waco on September 18, 1872. Eight additional miles to Ross was also built, giving the Waco and Northwestern fifty-five miles of track. The company was sold to the Houston and Texas Central on February 4, 1873. However, the Houston and Texas Central Railway Company entered receivership on February 23, 1885, and while the Main Line and the Western Division were sold to the Houston and Texas Central Railroad Company on April 1, 1890, the Waco and Northwestern Division remained in receivership until it was sold on September 5, 1895. It was reacquired by the Houston and Texas Central Railroad on June 30, 1898. In 1895 the railroad received $64,890 in passenger revenue, $236,503 from freight revenue, and $4,434 in other revenue. The eight miles of track from Waco to Ross was abandoned in April 1929. In 1965 the Southern Pacific, as successor to the Houston and Texas Central, abandoned the line between Bremond and Marlin and sold the twenty-four miles from Waco to Marlin to the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "WACO AND NORTHWESTERN RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqw01), accessed February 06, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles