ATASCOSITO ROAD. The Atascosito or Atascosita Road, established by the Spanish before 1757 as a military highway to East Texas (see SPANISH TEXAS), took its name from Atascosito, a Spanish settlement and military outpost on the Trinity River near the site of what is now Liberty, Texas. The road extended from Refugio and Goliad to the Atascosito Crossing on the Colorado River, on to the Brazos near San Felipe de Austin, and across the area of what is now northern Harris County to the Trinity. The eastward extension of the trail was known as the Opelousas or La Bahía Road. After the development of the cattle industry in Texas, the old Atascosito Road was followed by cattle drivers from South Texas to New Orleans.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.L. W. Kemp, "ATASCOSITO ROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/exa02), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.