JONES AND PLUMMER TRAIL
JONES AND PLUMMER TRAIL. The Jones and Plummer Trail was established in the fall of 1874, when two former buffalo hunters turned merchants and freighters, Charles Edward (Dirty Face) Jones and Joseph H. Plummer,qqv established a store at the head of Wolf Creek. They had seen the need for a convenient place for buffalo hunters to sell hides and obtain supplies after Quanah Parker's raid had convinced the Dodge City merchants to abandon the Adobe Walls trading post. Jones marked the trail, and the partners' trips to and from Dodge City to deliver hides and buffalo meat and to purchase goods cut ruts into the sod deep enough for others to follow. From Dodge City the trail angled southwest, paralleling Crooked Creek, to cross it and the Cimarron River near the Oklahoma-Kansas line. From there it continued on to Beaver, Oklahoma. At Beaver the Dodge City Trail (see WESTERN TRAIL) branched off to the southwest. The Jones and Plummer Trail continued due south for thirty miles to the site where Booker now stands. Passing Brubaker Lake, it headed southwest toward Gillalow Lake and on to the Jones and Plummer store on Wolf Creek just east of what is now U.S. Highway 83. The route to this point covered about 160 miles. The trail was extended farther south to Mobeetie but kept its original name. Mobeetie grew rapidly, making the trail attractive to additional freighters. Mose Hayes, an early plainsman, described the lower half of the trail thus: "more freighting came down the Jones and Plummer Trail about Clear Creek and turned off to the east before it got to the end of the [original] Jones and Plummer Trail on Wolf and continued south across Wolf Creek...and crossed the Canadian, and then up Red Deer, out on the plains, and on to Mobeetie." Freighters were not the only users of the trail. During the late 1870s Jones and Plummer's store gained a reputation as a safe place for outlaws to hide and replenish their supplies. In the winter of 1878 Bartholomew (Bat) Mastersonqv and a posse from Dodge City pursued a gang of train robbers along the trail, only to lose them at the store.
During the peak freight years of 1880 to 1886 the Jones and Plummer trail provided a crucial conduit for the materials needed to sustain such important projects as the building of Fort Elliott. Troops in the field, hunters, ranchers, homesteaders, and towns also depended on the goods that passed along the Jones and Plummer Trail. At times, the sheer volume of freight was remarkable. For example, a single merchant, Charles Rath, shipped 150,000 pounds of freight a week to Mobeetie in 1878. Eventually five towns were established along the trail, which served as their primary artery for commerce and travel. After 1879 the trail was used by mail contractors, and in 1886 P. G. Reynolds made it a major stagecoach route from Dodge City to Mobeetie. Though primarily a freighting trail, the Jones and Plummer Trail was also used by cattlemen driving herds north. The trail's usefulness ended when rail lines were built into the region, making the wagon trade uneconomical. Pulling into Panhandle City on January 1, 1888, an Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe locomotive rang its bell, signaling the end of yet another frontier trail. The Rock Island line extended service to southwestern Kansas in the same month. Thus, by the last decade of the nineteenth century, the Jones and Plummer trail had ceased to be a major factor in the growth of a region embracing parts of three states.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, C. Robert Haywood, "Jones and Plummer Trail," accessed January 23, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/exj01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.