BILSING, SHERMAN WEAVER
BILSING, SHERMAN WEAVER (1885–1954). Sherman Weaver Bilsing, teacher and researcher in entomology, was born on December 8, 1885, near Crestline, Ohio. He completed study at Martin Boehm Academy, Westerville, Ohio, in 1908 and in 1912 received both a B.S. from Otterbein College and a B.A. from Ohio State University. The latter awarded him an M.S. in 1913. He spent the summer of 1915 at the University of California, Berkeley. Bilsing went to the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) in 1913 as instructor of entomology. He became acting head of the entomology department in 1915 and head in 1918. He returned to Ohio State University for graduate study in 1923 and received a Ph.D. from that institution in 1924. His research and publications were mainly on insects that attack pecan trees. He was the leading authority on biology and control of the pecan-nut casebearer and published some basic works on this species. He took an active role in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Entomological Society of America, and the Texas Academy of Scienceqv and served in various offices of these organizations. He was also instrumental in establishing the Texas Entomological Society and was its president for the first six years of its existence. Bilsing was married to Alma Merwin of Mount Vernon, Iowa, and they had two sons. He retired from Texas A&M in 1952 and died on July 23, 1954.
Journal of Economic Entomology, December 1954. V. A. Little, A Brief History of Entomology at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (College Station: College Archives, 1960). Marjorie Ann Merwin, The Life of Sherman Weaver Bilsing (M.A. thesis, Southern Methodist University, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Horace R. Burke, "BILSING, SHERMAN WEAVER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbi26), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.