BLUCHER, ANTON FELIX HANS HELLMUTH VON
BLÜCHER, ANTON FELIX HANS HELLMUTH VON (1819–1879). Anton Felix von Blücher, interpreter, surveyor, and engineer, the grand nephew of Waterloo hero Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, was born in Prussia on November 15, 1819. His education at the University of Berlin (M.A. degree) included civil engineering, law, and languages. In 1844 he left Berlin for New Orleans, where he worked as a draftsman in a shipyard. There he changed his name to Felix A. von Blücher. In 1845 he joined Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels in Texas as an interpreter and engineer. He acted as interpreter at New Braunfels in the signing of John O. Meusebach's treaty with the Comanche chiefs. In 1847 he was in Mexico serving Gen. Winfield Scott as interpreter. He settled in Corpus Christi in 1849, after a visit to Germany, where he married Maria Augusta Imme. He was surveyor of Nueces County school lands and city alderman. In 1853 he surveyed the army road to Eagle Pass. He was an officer in the Confederate engineers and artillery during the Civil War and later served as a military engineer in Mexico. He returned to civilian life to practice law but soon accepted a position as consulting engineer for the Corpus Christi and Rio Grande Railroad Company. Two years later, in 1875, he was made deputy county surveyor of Zapata County and began resurveying Spanish grants as required by the Texas constitution. He died at Tresquilas Ranch in Cameron County on February 6, 1879, and was survived by his widow and five children.
Mrs. Frank DeGarmo, Pathfinders of Texas, 1836–1846 (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1951). Edna Weedon Tobias, The History of Education in Nueces County (M.A. thesis, Sul Ross State College, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Hortense Warner Ward, "BLUCHER, ANTON FELIX HANS HELLMUTH VON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbl64), accessed August 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.