BOWEN, JOHN (?–1867). John Bowen, merchant and city official was born Ralph William Peacock to one of the early families of Philadelphia. He attended the University of Pennsylvania. He and his brother George Steinmetz Peacock may have traveled through Texas in the late 1820s on their way to South America. It is claimed that the two brothers acquired a large cattle ranch in Argentina, which they lost in a revolution. They are also said to have owned a wholesale commission business in Rio de Janeiro as well as large landholdings and other business interests in Brazil. The brothers made their way back to the United States. In Philadelphia, George married and became a father. He moved with his family to Texas but contracted cholera and died in Indianola or Port Lavaca; he was buried in San Antonio. Ralph traveled to San Antonio from Philadelphia by way of South America in the early or mid-1840s. In 1845 he purchased a five-acre tract of land, a peninsula formed by the San Antonio River that he called Bowen's Island, for $300. On the "island" was the old homestead La Quinta, part of the original Spanish land grant of the Curbelo family; the Curbelos were Canary Islanders. The house became the first United States post office in San Antonio, with Bowen as postmaster. In 1848, by act of the Texas legislature, Peacock changed his name to that of his half-brother, John Bowen, of Philadelphia and of Bowen's Hall, Kingston, Jamaica, upon the request of Bowen, who had no heirs. The act was signed by Governor George T. Wood. Peacock served as an alderman in 1848–49, and after legally changing his name he served as city treasurer from 1849 to 1854, in 1856–57, and 1857–58. During the years of the republic and early statehood he operated a store for hides, wool, and pecans, as well as a general store on Main Plaza. George Peacock had left a widow and child, and John Bowen married the widow, Mary Elizabeth Peacock, in San Fernando Church on August 29, 1850. They built a seven-room cottage on the banks of the San Antonio River and raised seven children. Bowen was a Unitarian. He died on December 13, 1867, and was eulogized in the San Antonio Express "as a man of great firmness of character [who] stood firm through all the dark days of the [Civil War], as a loyal citizen to the United States." He was buried alongside his brother George on Bowen's Island. When the San Antonio River channel was changed, their remains were removed to San Fernando Cemetery No. 1. A state historical marker identifying John Bowen and his island is located at the site. Bowen should not be confused with the John S. Bowen who fought at the siege of Bexar.
Frederick Charles Chabot, With the Makers of San Antonio (Yanaguana Society Publications 4, San Antonio, 1937). A Twentieth Century History of Southwest Texas (2 vols., Chicago: Lewis, 1907).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary Ann Noonan Guerra, "BOWEN, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fboxu), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.