BROWN, BLUFORD WASHINGTON
BROWN, BLUFORD WASHINGTON (1831–1897). Bluford Washington Brown, farmer, Confederate officer, preacher, and state representative, was born in Bibb County, Alabama, on January 31, 1831, the son of Hitson and Winford (Ray) Brown. Brown was raised in the Bibb County area and received a basic education at Maplesville Academy in nearby Chilton County. He studied medicine briefly before engaging as a farmer. On November 8, 1848, Bluford Brown married Nancy Caroline Cox in Bibb County. This couple had four sons and five daughters. At the outbreak of the Civil War Brown volunteered for service in the Confederate Army, joining Company G of the Forty-fourth Alabama Infantry Regiment as a second lieutenant. In August 1862 at the Second Battle of Manassas Brown was wounded, and afterwards he received promotion to captain and company commander. He continued in this capacity for the remainder of the war. Brown returned to Alabama at the cessation of hostilities but, finding his homestead and farm untenable, immigrated to Texas in April 1866. He settled near Longview, Upshur (later Gregg) County, near where his father had established a homestead in 1852. Here he engaged as a cotton planter and also was active as a Democrat in local and state politics. Around this time he became a Methodist and occasionally engaged as a lay minister for Summerfield Methodist Church. In 1872 Brown won election as representative for District Six—comprised of Smith and Upshur counties—to the Thirteenth Texas Legislature. During this session he introduced a bill which led to the creation of Gregg County. Brown represented District Six again in the 1874–1875 Fourteenth Texas Legislature, and in 1879 he represented District Sixteen—comprised of Smith and Gregg counties—during the Sixteenth Texas Legislature. Brown was also a delegate to the 1873, 1878, and 1880 state Democratic conventions. Bluford Brown died on February 8, 1897. He was buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Longview.
E. W. Swindells, A Legislative Manual for the State of Texas (2 vols., Austin, 1879–83). M embers of the Legislature of the State of Texas from 1846 to 1939 (Austin: Texas Legislature, 1939). Eugene W. McWhorter, Traditions of the Land: The History of Gregg County, Texas (Longview, Texas: Gregg County Historical Foundation, 1989). Emory A. Bailey, Who's Who in Texas (Dallas: John B. McCraw Press, 1931).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Aragorn Storm Miller, "Brown, Bluford Washington," accessed July 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbrev.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on November 25, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.