Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BRADSHAW, AMZI

BRADSHAW, AMZI (1824–1885). Amzi Bradshaw, lawyer, legislator, and soldier, the son of Elias and Kiziah (Kimmons) Bradshaw, was born in Hickman County, Tennessee, on January 13, 1824. He received a limited education and taught in various schools in Tennessee before moving to Texas in 1849. He settled first at Enterprise in Rusk County and taught school there, then removed to Quitman, where he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1852. He subsequently moved to Waxahachie and opened a law practice. In 1860 he was elected district attorney, and in 1861 he represented Ellis County in the Secession Convention, where he voted in favor of secession. He resigned his position as district attorney to enlist as a private in Company C, Nineteenth Texas Cavalry, C.S.A., and participated in the battle of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. He was discharged on May 25, 1863, but then recruited his own company, which became Company D, Showalter's Texas Cavalry. He was made captain on August 7, 1863. Bradshaw and his unit were a part of John S. Ford's Cavalry of the West and campaigned in 1864 to rid the Rio Grande valley of Union troops from Laredo to Brownsville. Bradshaw continued his law practice in Waxahachie after the war. He was a delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1866 and served a term in the state Senate during the Fourteenth Legislature (1874–75). He married Martha S. Bishop on January 16, 1867. He died on January 23, 1885, and was buried in the Waxahachie City Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

William S. Speer and John H. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of the New West (Marshall, Texas: United States Biographical Publishing, 1881; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978).

J. L. Bryan

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

J. L. Bryan, "BRADSHAW, AMZI," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbryv), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.