BURCH, VALENTINE IGNATIUS
BURCH, VALENTINE IGNATIUS (1813–1892). Valentine Ignatius Burch, soldier at the battle of San Jacinto, was born near Bardstown, Kentucky, on February 14, 1813, the son of Samuel Lewis and Dorothea (Brown) Burch, both of Maryland Catholic stock. He was educated at nearby St. Mary's College. In 1826 the family moved to Texas, first to the Nacogdoches area and later to the vicinity of San Augustine. Burch and his younger brother James enlisted in Capt. William Kimbroqv's company on March 15, 1836, and participated in the battle of San Jacinto, where they assisted in the capture of Col. Juan N. Almonte. The brothers reenlisted on June 4, 1836, in Capt. Henry Reed's company and served until September 4 of that year. After the revolution Burch settled at Colita in Polk County. In 1843 he married Helen Elmira Cauble, the daughter of Peter Cauble, and settled at Peach Tree Village in Tyler County (see PEACH TREE VILLAGE, TEXAS), where he managed the plantation of his father-in-law as well as his own property in several counties. At Peach Tree Village he was one of the charter subscribers for a private academy in 1870. The Burch home was for years a social center and a haven for Catholic missionaries to East Texas. Burch died on November 26, 1892, and was buried in the family cemetery at Peach Tree Village. He was a member of the Texas Veterans Association.
Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Emma Haynes, The History of Polk County (MS, Sam Houston Regional Library, Liberty, Texas, 1937; rev. ed. 1968). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Aline T. Rothe, History of Education in Polk County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John P. Landers, "BURCH, VALENTINE IGNATIUS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbu24), accessed July 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.