CUMINGS, JAMES (?–1825). James Cumings, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred settlers and one of seven sons of Anthony and Rebekah Cumings, received a Mexican land grant of five leagues and one labor in what is now Austin County and a league now in Brazoria County, on August 16, 1824. The tract, bisected by Palmetto (later Mill) Creek, lay seven miles north of San Felipe. The five-league grant, called a hacienda, was given in exchange for the building and operation of a grist and saw mill to serve Austin's first colony. James entered into a contract with his brothers, John and William, to fulfill those obligations. On August 26, 1825, shortly before his death, James willed to William and John the hacienda and its improvements, to be divided equally between them. He left another league of land, near Brazoria, to be divided between his sisters, Rebecca and Sarah. Cumings never married.
Virginia H. Taylor, The Spanish Archives of the General Land Office of Texas (Austin: Lone Star, 1955). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tim Cumings, "CUMINGS, JAMES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcu11), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.