Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon

ENGLISH, LEVI

Levi English
Levi English. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.
Carrizo Springs Public Square
Carrizo Springs Public Square. Courtesy of Karen Cramer. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.
Levi English Grave Plaque
Levi English Grave Plaque. Courtesy of Find-a-Grave. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.
Grave of Levi English
Grave of Levi English. Courtesy of Find-a-Grave. Image available on the Internet and included in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107.

ENGLISH, LEVI (1817–1894). Levi English, pioneer, cattleman, and one of the first settlers of Dimmit County, was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, on August 25, 1817, to Edward Burleson English Sr. and Jane Sloan. His mother died while he was an infant, and he was brought up by his mother's sister and his uncle, Joel T. Walters. In 1824 his surrogate parents took him to Texas with them. English left home when he was about ten, and, according to his son Jake, lived for perhaps six months with a group of Comanche Indians. Family tradition says that English served as a scout for the Texas Rangers after leaving the Comanches and participated in several battles against Indians. He married Matilda Jane Burleson on February 22, 1839, and the couple had eleven children.  According to his son, he also fought in the battle of San Jacinto, though no record of his service can be found. In May 1851, he divorced his wife for suspected infidelity and a few days later she married Major Ross Byers. On May 28, English shot and killed Major Ross Byers in Lockhart. By the 1850s English had become a cattleman and a leader of a frontier community in Atascosa County, where he served as a county commissioner in 1856. From August 6, 1855, to November 13, 1855,, he served as a captain of mounted volunteers in Bexar County.  He enlisted in a company of Minute Men for Atascosa County under the command of Captain Benjamin Slaughter on November 2, 1861.  He re-enlisted for six months on November 16, 1863, as a first lieutenant in a company of mounted volunteers from Frio City.  In 1865 he led a group of fifteen families into what is now Dimmit County and established a settlement at Carrizo Springs. In 1880, when Dimmit County was organized and Carrizo Springs became the county seat, English donated land to the town for churches, schools, and a courthouse square. English died in Carrizo Springs on May 14, 1894, and was buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Civilian and Galveston Gazette, June 17, 1851. Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Laura Knowlton Tidwell, Dimmit County Mesquite Roots (Austin: Wind River, 1984). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Northern Standard, July 12, 1851. San Antonio Ledger and Texan, January 28, 1860.

John Leffler, rev. by Brett J. Derbes

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, John Leffler, rev. by Brett J. Derbes, "English, Levi," accessed December 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fen13.

Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on November 14, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.