EVANS, WILLIAM F.
EVANS, WILLIAM F. (1799–1865). Dr. William F. Evans, physician and Texas state representative, was born on April 15, 1799, in Davidson County, Tennessee, son of Joseph and Margaret Evans. William married Nancy W. Davidson on October 8, 1822. The couple had fourteen children.
Evans and his family moved to Texas from Tennessee in 1842; he was the first doctor to settle in Marshall in Harrison County. In addition to practicing medicine, Evans established a drugstore and grocery business with Edward B. Griggs and Hobart Key. In 1850 Evans had $7,000 in real property and owned twenty-six slaves. He appears to have turned over the business to Gregg and Key in 1852. Evans served in the Texas House of Representatives in 1851. In 1853 he led a group of Harrison County citizens who obtained a charter for the Marshall Railroad Company, though the railroad was never constructed. Dr. Evans was a charter member of the Marshall Baptist Church and the Marshall Masonic Lodge where he was a master.
William Evans died suddenly in his home on November 7, 1865. Soon after, his family received his appointment as tax commissioner for the state of Texas signed by President Andrew Johnson and scheduled to begin on November 30, 1865.
George Plunkett [Mrs. S. C.] Red, The Medicine Man in Texas (Houston: 1930). Randolph B. Campbell, A Southern Community in Crisis; Harrison County, Texas, 1850–1880 (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jennifer Eckel, "EVANS, WILLIAM F.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fev33), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on November 26, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.