FLETCHER, WILLIAM ANDREW
FLETCHER, WILLIAM ANDREW (1839–1915). William Andrew Fletcher, lumberman and Civil War soldier, the son of Thomas and Eliza (Miller) Fletcher, was born in St. Landry parish, Louisiana, on April 23, 1839. In 1856 the family moved to Texas, where they settled first at Wiess's Bluff in Jasper County and in 1859 at Beaumont. In 1861 Fletcher joined Company F, Fifth Texas Regiment, Hood's Texas Brigade, at Richmond, Virginia. He fought at Chickahominy, Seven Pines, and around Richmond, served as the commanding general's scout at the battle of Gaines' Mill, and was wounded at the second battle of Manassas. He returned to the front, took part in the battle of Fredericksburg, and was made a temporary corporal. In 1863 he fought with Robert E. Lee's army and with James Longstreet's corps at the Round Tops and at Gettysburg. Under Joseph E. Johnston he was wounded again at Chickamauga. In 1864 he joined Company E of the Eighth Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers) and accompanied the unit on campaigns in Tennessee and Georgia. He was captured briefly but escaped near Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and last served with Johnston's army near Bentonville, North Carolina. Fletcher recounts his experience in his book Rebel Private, Front and Rear, first published by the Greer Press at Beaumont (1908); much of the original edition was burned in 1924, and the book was reprinted by the University of Texas Press in 1955.
After Lee surrendered, Fletcher returned to Texas. In 1866 he married Julia Long, with whom he had five children. He opened a general repair shop in 1867 and went to work for his wife's brother James M. Long in 1869. Long and F. L. Carroll were involved in a steam sawmill operation built by John R. Ross and James R. Alexander, originally known as Long and Company and later as the Beaumont Lumber Company. Fletcher subsequently entered into the partnership in the Village Mills Company, later the Texas Tram and Lumber Company, which specialized in yellow pine. In 1901 he sold his part of the business to John Henry Kirby and retired to his farm. Fletcher at one time owned 1,000 acres of timber in Orange County, in addition to other property interests. He invented a steam log skidder to load timber, was a director of the Keith Lumber Company and the Neches Iron works, and promoted highways and canals in the region. He died on January 5, 1915.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "Fletcher, William Andrew," accessed December 05, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffldd.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.