Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


HARRIS, WILLIAM J. (?–?). William J. Harris, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a labor of land now in Harris County on July 21, 1824. In October 1824 he signed a petition for the appointment of a local surveyor in the San Jacinto area.


Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897).


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"HARRIS, WILLIAM J.," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.