HINES, CARRIE PEARL WASHINGTON
HINES, CARRIE PEARL WASHINGTON (1888–1970). Carrie Pearl Washington Hines, black teacher, poet, and playwright, was born to Henry and Rebecca Washington on November 16, 1888, in Plantersville, Texas. She spent her childhood in nearby Navasota. After graduating from Prairie View College, she completed work in the study of motion pictures and short stories at the Hoosier Institute of Fort Wayne, Indiana, and also completed a course in millinery at the Chicago Millinery School. She returned to Texas and began her teaching career in Navasota, where she taught for several months. Her marriage to Robert H. Hines, an instructor at Prairie View College, then took her to Prairie View, where she continued to teach for Waller County. She next moved to Waco, where she oversaw the standardization of the Old Zion School (later a part of the J. N. Jenkins School), and was there elected principal eleven times. For nine of these years in Waco, Hines also taught English and primary plans for the summer programs of Waco's normal schools. Subsequently she left Waco for a four-year tenure as principal of the Ferris City School near Dallas. Hines then returned to southeast Texas for what would be her last position as an educator-teaching English at Conroe College. Having achieved excellent evaluations as a primary and high school teacher, as an expert on adolescents, and as an administrator, Hines retired to devote full attention to her family and to her literary career as a poet and playwright.
By 1942 Hines and her husband had six children. That year they moved to Amarillo, where she began to write full time. Hines's poetry gained her widespread recognition and was published in Woman's Magazine, Houston Informer, and such national poetry anthologies as The 1940 Poets of America, The Book of Modern Poetry (1941), and The Spirit of America (1942). She also produced two of her own books of poetry, The People's Hymnal and Reflections in Poetry. Hines wrote plays as well, including The Soldier's Farewell to His Mother (in which she and her son Robert had leading roles in a Waco production); The Princess in the Rainbow Wedding; The Hermit of the Red Hills; Love Divine; and The Lily of the Valley (which was presented in Amarillo, Galveston, Marshall, and Waco, Texas; in Tulsa, Oklahoma; and in Tucson, Arizona). As directress of Bible Dramatics for the Central Baptist Association, she each year wrote and produced plays based on Bible stories. Hines's honors included recognition in Who's Who in Poetry in America and in Who's Who among Negroes in the United States. Hines was active in a number of organizations. She was founder and president of the League of Authors and Composers of Texas; a member of the Heroines of Jerico and the Court of Calanthe; and a member of the American Woodmen. She was also in both the Southwestern Regional and the National Association of Women's Clubs. She was a member of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, where she served as church historian and as a teacher for the Women's Missionary Union. Hines died in Amarillo on February 4, 1970.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Juliana Barr, "Hines, Carrie Pearl Washington," accessed July 23, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhixx.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.