Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


HOOKS, WARREN H. (1802–1876). Warren H. Hooks, farmer, plantation owner, and state representative, was born in Wayne County, North Carolina, on January 25, 1802, the son of William Henry II and Dorcas (Blake) Hooks. Hooks was raised in Wayne County and married Elisabeth Roberts there in 1822. In 1823 Hooks and his wife relocated to Franklin County, Alabama, where the couple had five sons and three daughters. One of these sons, Robert W., later served in the Civil War as lieutenant colonel in the Eleventh Texas Cavalry Regiment. In the late 1840s Hooks immigrated with his family to Texas, settled in Bowie County, and established himself as one of the largest farmers, planters, and landowners in northeastern Texas. By 1850 he owned 13,500 acres of land, and by 1860 he boasted $160,000 in personal and real estate property, including ninety-one slaves. During this time Hooks was a founding member of the Boston Masonic Lodge in Old Boston, Bowie County. In 1866 Hooks won election as representative for Red River County to the Eleventh Texas Legislature. Throughout the late 1860s and early 1870s Hooks developed his landholdings and the surrounding area, such that, prior to his death, the town of Hooks, Bowie County, established itself adjacent to his plantation. Warren Hooks died at his plantation on January 8, 1876, and was buried there at present-day McCutcheon's Cemetery.


Bowie County, Texas & Genealogy (, accessed May 24, 2007. Hooks-L Archives (, accessed May 24, 2007. Hooks-L Archives (, accessed May 24, 2007. Warren Hooks Family (, accessed May 24, 2007. IGI Individual Record: "William Hooks" (, accessed May 24, 2007. Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (July 1967).

Aragorn Storm Miller


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "HOOKS, WARREN H.," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed August 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on November 26, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.