JIMÉNEZ, DIEGO (?–?). Fray Diego Jiménez was one of the missionaries from the College of Santa Cruz de Querétaro who began Santa Cruz de San Sabá Mission and, later, two Apache missions on the upper Nueces River. On December 14, 1756, he arrived at San Antonio with the five other Franciscans assigned to seek conversion of the eastern Apaches. The group proceeded to the proposed mission site on the San Saba River the following April. On July 5, 1757-less than three months after their arrival-Jiménez and Fray Joaquín de Baños wrote to the college at Querétaro, declaring that they saw no hope that the Apaches would enter missions. Complaining that the San Sabá mission president, Fray Alonso Giraldo de Terreros, had misled them, they requested permission to abandon the enterprise. They departed for Querétaro before the end of the year.
Approximately two years later, Jiménez was serving as president of the Rio Grande missions at San Juan Bautista. There, in October 1759, he received word of the failure of the Ortiz Parrilla Red River Campaign, intended to punish the Northern Tribes for their destruction of the San Sabá Mission. In October 1761 a letter from Felipe de Rábago y Terán, the new commandant of San Luis de las Amarillas Presidio (San Sabá) informed him that the Apaches now were favorably inclined to settle in missions. The friar departed immediately for San Sabá. By early February 1762, Jiménez and Joaquín de Baños, working with Rábago, had established on the upper Nueces River two missions: San Lorenzo de la Santa Cruz and Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria. Jiménez intended adding the two new establishments to his jurisdiction as president of the Rio Grande missions. His plan, however, did not coincide with the viceroy's. The missions of El Cañón, as they came to be called, never won the approval of the viceregal government.
Jiménez, dividing his time between the Nueces missions and his headquarters on the Rio Grande, was responsible for construction in the late 1760s of the ornate limestone church of San Bernardo Mission. The edifice, which was never completed, still stands outside Guerrero, Coahuila. Up to the cornicing and nearly finished, the work evidently halted when the Rio Grande missions were transferred from the College of Santa Cruz to the province of Jalisco in 1772. For that transaction, Jiménez compiled a census and an inventory of mission property. He then withdrew, apparently to serve as guardian of the college.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert S. Weddle, "Jimenez, Diego," accessed January 17, 2017, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fji02.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.