JOHNSON, ACHILLES EDMOND CHALLIS
JOHNSON, ACHILLES EDMOND CHALLIS (1806–1845). Achilles Johnson, colonist, representative, and captain, was born on July 17, 1806, in Virginia. He was married to Margaret Lewis, daughter of Able A. and Martha (Woffard) Lewis. The Johnsons had five children. Johnson moved to Texas from Missouri about 1824 and settled in the Ayish Bayou district, east of what is now the site of San Augustine. In 1832 he served on a committee of fifteen to select the site of San Augustine; the town was built in 1834. On May 18, 1835, Johnson received a Mexican land grant in the colony of Lorenzo de Zavala. Johnson on November 16, 1835, submitted his resignation as commissioner, Department of Nacogdoches, to succeed Almanzon Huston at the Consultation as district representative of San Augustine. He resigned this post on November 24, 1835. Johnson joined the Texas army (see TEXAS REVOLUTION) on May 12, 1836, under the command of Gen. Thomas J. Rusk and was detached back to East Texas to raise recruits. On his return he joined the company of Capt. William H. Patton, who had charge of the captured Antonio López de Santa Anna. Johnson was commissioned a captain in the Texas army on August 1, 1836, and was honorably discharged on November 29, 1836. He was killed in 1845 in Fort Bend County; the probate of his estate was filed in San Augustine County on April 10, 1850, with S. C. Watson as administrator.
George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod. 1962). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Gifford E. White, Character Certificates in the General Land Office of Texas (1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.McXie Whitton Martin, "JOHNSON, ACHILLES EDMOND CHALLIS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo05), accessed July 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.