LOMBARDI, CESAR MAURICE
LOMBARDI, CESAR MAURICE (1845–1919). Cesar Maurice Lombardi, publisher, grain merchant, and Houston civic leader, the son of Joseph and Clemantina Lombardi, was born in Canton Tessin, Switzerland, on August 6, 1845. He attended high school in Switzerland before immigrating to the United States in 1860 and completing his education at the Jesuit college in New Orleans. In 1871 he moved to Houston, where he was an accountant and manager of W. D. Cleveland and Company, wholesale grocers and cotton factors, and became a member of the firm in 1886. From 1899 to 1906 Lombardi was in the wholesale grain business in Portland, Oregon; for his last four years there he was president of the W. A. Gordon Company. He returned to Texas in 1906 and until 1913 served as vice president and then acting president of the A. H. Belo Corporation, publishers of the Galveston News, the Dallas Morning News,qqv and the Dallas Evening Journal. During this time he and others successfully promoted efforts to pass banking-insurance laws in Texas. Lombardi had a residence in Dallas and a summer home in Berkeley, California. He was president of the Houston school board from 1886 to 1898 and a trustee of Rice Institute from 1891 to 1919. On January 16, 1877, he married Caroline Gaston Ennis. Lombardi wrote on the subjects of education and economics and was a member of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, the National Press Club, and the faculty club of the University of California at Berkeley. He died on June 23, 1919.
Sam Hanna Acheson, 35,000 Days in Texas: A History of the Dallas "News" and Its Forbears (New York: Macmillan, 1938). Marie Phelps McAshan, A Houston Legacy: On the Corner of Main and Texas (Houston: Gulf, 1985). Who Was Who in America, Vol. 2.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LOMBARDI, CESAR MAURICE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/flo08), accessed October 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.