MARTIN, PHILIP (ca. 1800–ca. 1876). Philip Martin, early settler, was born in North Carolina around 1800. He moved to Texas in the middle to late 1820s, and in 1831 received a league of land in David G. Burnet's colony in what is now Anderson County. The Nacogdoches census of 1835 lists as a resident of that municipality one Philip Martin-a carpenter married to Mary (Coffee), with a two-year-old son, Andrew. Martin joined the Texas army at the Colorado River in March 1836 and became a member of Capt. William Smith's spy company. The group proceeded from the Colorado River to the Brazos River and thence to Harrisburg and the battle of San Jacinto. About April 19, Martin joined Capt. Hayden S. Arnold's Infantry Company of the Second Regiment, commanded by Col. Sidney Sherman and Lt. Col. Joseph L. Bennett.qqv He participated in the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. He was honorably discharged from the Army of the Republic of Texas in June 1836. Muster rolls from the Texas Revolution indicate that in July, Philip Martin enrolled in one Captain Walden's Company A, Texas Rangersqv, then reenlisted on November 30 to serve with that same regiment through December 1836.
In November 1838 Martin was granted a headright certificate by the Board of Land Commissioners and received a labor of land in Montgomery County. In December 1838 he received a donation warrant for 640 acres for having served in the battle of San Jacinto. In his veteran's pension application he stated he also received a bounty warrant for 320 acres. Martin and Mary Johnson were married in February 1839; they had one son, Samuel Houston Martin. They resided in Danville, near Willis and New Waverly in Montgomery County. Martin was a friend and staunch supporter of Sam Houston. In 1857, when Houston was embroiled in a feud with Col. Sidney Sherman concerning the conduct of each in the battle of San Jacinto, Martin wrote a letter to Houston condemning Sherman's conduct in the battle. In a speech before the United States Senate, Houston read the letter, which was later printed in the 1860 Texas Almanac. After the Civil War, Martin was among those who took the amnesty oath and registered as voters of Montgomery County. In 1870 he filed for a state pension as a veteran of the Army of the Republic of Texas; a pension in the amount of $250 was approved in 1871. The Galveston Daily News of October 20, 1877, in reporting on the convention of the Texas Veterans Association, announced that Philip Martin of Montgomery County had died during the previous year. His place of burial is unknown.
Apparently another Philip Martin moved to Nacogdoches in 1835. This Philip Martin, a Texas Ranger stationed at Fort Colorado, Travis County, was killed in a raid against Comanches in 1837.
Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). William T. Field, "Fort Colorado: A Texas Ranger Frontier Outpost in Travis County, Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 72 (October 1968). Galveston Daily News, October 20, 1877.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christine Mitchell, "MARTIN, PHILIP," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmaxk), accessed February 11, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.